BACnet testing laboratory
What to pay attention to…before the test:
For BACnet tests to be performed the following components are required:
- at least one device from serial production (better: two devices in case any faults arise)
- operating instruction/user guide
- data sheets
- PICS (Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement)
- IUT EPICS (Electronic Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement)
- completed »BTL Testing Application« form
- completed »BTL Functionality Checklist«
- completed »BTL IUT Special Test Instructions« form
- configuration tools
- auxiliary devices and accessories, if required
- for complex products submission of the BTF Project (BACnet Test Framework) including test scripts (prolog, epilog and make) is recommended.
NB: BTL documents can be found here
In order to keep the time and effort required for the test, and ultimately the testing costs, to a minimum, the following points should be observed:
- Perform pre-tests beforehand
- An efficient testing procedure can only be ensured if the implemented BACnet functionalities and the descriptions of the devices, the device combinations and the software are fault-free.&Please make sure that the documentation and the descriptions are complete. If there are any faults or errors, these should be corrected promptly so that, if a repeat test is necessary, the time required for us to set up the test again and familiarize ourselves with the devices is kept to a minimum. Where complex devices are involved it is advisable for the manufacturer to assist the testing engineer in familiarizing himself with the components. Pre-testing during the development stage can also help to reduce the testing costs.
In principle it is possible to submit a test order in informal, written form. The test order form is simply an alternative. Please complete a separate order form for each device:
- Enter your complete address in the first section
- We then require details of the scope of the tests required. Please tick which tests you wish us to conduct.
- Please note that we require a separate completed testing order form for each device.
- Please indicate which BACnet protocol revision was followed in the development of your device.
- A list of the required documentation and data is available. Please tick which documentation is included with the application. Enter how many test samples are submitted.
- After completing all sections, please confirm the test application with the date and a legally binding signature
In order to process your test application we require a written application and certain information, documents and data. For this purpose we have created a test application form to help you to gather all the required information and documents. You may however also submit an informal test application.
If, for reasons of extra certainty before a market launch, you are planning a BACnet test at short notice, please inform us in good time to make sure that the desired testing date has not already been reserved. This is especially important just before trade fairs since just before such events there is an increased demand for short-term tests.
What to pay attention to... during the test:
The test can be interrupted or cancelled at any time at the customer's request. In case of a cancellation the hours required up to this time will be invoiced.
In principle the customer cannot be present at the BACnet test.
If we identify a fault during the testing process, you can decide whether you wish the test to be continued to identify possible other faults or whether the test should be interrupted. How the fault is to be corrected depends on the type of fault. If the deviations are only minor, then an adjustment of the device and software description often suffices. If the deviations are more serious, then it may be necessary to revise/rework the application or firmware. If the application or firmware has to be adjusted (e.g. by changing the source codes) then a repetition of the test is necessary.
The processing time depends on various factors, e.g.
- scope of the product functions whereby the scope of the functions to be tested is definded by the device profile
- complexity of the application or device (implemented BIBBs)
- possible errors in the documentation submitted
- possible faults in the device or application
- number of orders in hand
- possible duration of correction by the developer
When placing an order you may of course inquire about the current lead time.
What to pay attention to... after the test:
If all the steps of the test have been completed without fault or error, you will then receive a positive test report in electronic form. This will be sent to you via email.
If you receive a positive test report, you can use this to register with »BACnet International« (BI) for BTL listing and with »BACnet Interest Group Europe« (BIG-EU) for certification. You will find further information on BTL listings and certification at: www.bacnetinternational.net and www.big-eu.org.
The test report includes the following information:
- description of the tested device
- specifications applied
- test date
- test result
- BACnet Standard Services
- BACnet Standard Object Types
- test summary
- result of the EPIC consistency test
- results of the compliance test
Terms and Abbreviations
BACnet stands for »Building Automation and Control Networks« and is a manufacturer-independent data communication protocol specially devised to satisfy the demands of building automation. The communication protocol was developed by the American engineering association ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) and since 2004 has been a worldwide norm in accordance with ISO 16484-5.
DIAL has many of years of experience with building automation systems (BACnet, KNX, DALI and LON). We transmit knowledge in the form of seminars and provide testing services. DIAL does not develop products itself and is therefore completely unbiased and independent of manufacturer interests.
BTL (BACnet Testing Laboratories) was founded by BACnet International to support activities in connection with BACnet compliance tests.
The BTL logo is awarded to products which provide evidence of compliance with the BACnet standard in accordance with ISO 16484-5 / ANSI ASHRAE 135. If the test results are positive, the manufacturer presents this test certificate to BACnet International and applies for the BTL logo. Further information on the BTL logo and on the listing can be found at: www.bacnetinternational.net.
As well as BACnet compliance tests we also provide tests for acquiring the AMEV attestation. We can conduct the AMEV tests separately for you. You will find information about AMEV on the official AMEV homepage (Arbeitskreis Maschinen und Elektrotechnik staatlicher und kommunaler Verwaltungen = working party for mechanical and electrical engineering and communal administration) at www.amev-online.de.
Our current price list informs you about the present hourly rates. The costs for testing are calculated according to the number of hours required, verified by an activity report. The number of hours depends on many factors, e.g. the complexity of the project, the number of object types and BIBBs included and any difficulties arising during the test. The device profile and whether the product is a client or a server also play a role. We would be pleased to provide an estimate of the costs before starting the test. Since these costs can only be estimated roughly on the basis of comparable tests, the estimate is always non-binding.
In accordance with the testing standard and the BTL test plan the compliance tests include the following items:
- testing the consistency of the information in EPICS
- testing basic functionalities
- testing implemented objects
- testing implemented BIBBs
- testing implemented network options (BACnet/IP, BACnet/MS-TP)
- testing BACnet routing functionalities
- optional: tests for acquiring AMEV attestation
The ever increasing number of sophisticated BACnet products on the market leads to a constant demand for new hard- and software solutions. These efforts are necessary to ensure that devices from different manufacturers can communicate with each other. In addition to this, BACnet products are now specifically requested in invitations to tender.
After completing the compliance test we issue a test report. When the test result is positive, certification in Europe is applied for at WSPCert. Further information about the certification procedure is available on the homeppage: www.big-eu.org.
Certification is valid for 5 years before a further compliance test is required. Well before the expiry date WSPCert informs the manufacturer who then decides whether to prolong the period of certification for a further five years. (refer to www.big-eu.org).
Within the framework of BACnet compliance tests the following specifications are used as a basis when testing the product:
- ISO 16484-6 / ANSI ASHRAE135.1 (Method of Test for Conformance to BACnet)
- ISO 16484-5 / ANSI ASHRAE 135 (A Data Communication Protocol for BACnet)
- BTL Testplan (BACnet Testing Laboratories)